Here is a celebrity endorsement for everyone. Carrie Underwood, American Idol winner and country superstar, has stated the Humane Society of the United States is her favorite charity. She grew up on a farm with a few animals in Oklahoma and has always had a deep passion for animals. Carrie Underwood also has a little dog named Ace that travels with her everywhere. She has been an advocate for HSUS for a few years now. Carrie Underwood is most outspoken about getting pets spayed and neutered to prevent unwanted pregnancies among pets. Another of her main platforms is sending the message that acquiring a pet has a lot of responsibilities as well. Many of the people just get a pet because it is cute looking when it is little. They are unaware of all of the responsibilities and the ten to twenty year commitment that comes with having a pet. The Humane Society of the United States has teamed up with Carrie Underwood and, together, they have made a website to help pet owners out and give them tips. I believe that this endorsement has helped out both of the parties involved.
This is a win-win for both Carrie Underwood and HSUS but I do not support this endorsement. I feel that the Humane Society of the United States is not a very transparent organization and the use misconception to sway public opinion. I realize Carrie Underwood is a vegan as well and has many of the same views as much of the HSUS brass; however, she grew up on a farm in Oklahoma with dairy cattle and HSUS is currently trying to pass a lot of legislation that is going to hurt dairy farms as well as pig and poultry farms. I think she is too far removed from her roots and has also fallen for the misconceptions that HSUS has placed on the table. For these reasons, I feel that this was not a good endorsement for her.
No comments:
Post a Comment